Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Eight Words with THREE Meanings

Okay, time to lighten up ...

1. THINGY (thing-ee) n.
Female...... Any part under a car's hood.
Male..... The strap fastener on a woman's bra.
Me..... Being senile means never having to remember the names of anything. Or thingy.

2. VULNERABLE (vul-ne-ra-bel) adj.
Female.... Fully opening up one's self emotionally to another.
Male.... Playing cricket without a box.
Me..... Like the dhoti-clad man I once saw, many years ago, asleep on the grass of Bombay's oval maidan, curled up on his side, with his masculine equipment neatly displayed on the white cloth of his dhoti.

3. COMMUNICATION (ko-myoo-ni-kay-shon) n.
Female.... The open sharing of thoughts and feelings with one's partner.
Male... Leaving a note before taking off on a fishing trip with theboys.
Me..... Updating my blog.

4. COMMITMENT (ko-mit-ment) n.
Female.... A desire to get married and raise a family.
Male...... Trying not to hit on other women while out with this one.
Me..... Updating my blog regularly.

5. ENTERTAINMENT (en-ter-tayn-ment) n.
Female.... A good movie, concert, play or book.
Male...... Anything that can be done while drinking beer.
Me..... Visiting other blogs.

6. FLATULENCE (flach-u-lens) n.
Female.... An embarrassing byproduct of indigestion.
Male...... A source of entertainment, self-expression, male bonding.
Me..... A thingy that rhymes with "art"..

7 MAKING LOVE (may-king luv) n.
Female...... The greatest expression of intimacy a couple canachieve.
Male.. Call it whatever you want, just as long as we do it.
Me..... Sharing icecream.

8. REMOTE CONTROL (ri-moht kon-trohl) n.
Female.... A device for changing from one TV channel to another.
Male... A device for scanning through all 375 channels every 5 minutes.
Me..... Getting people to buy my books by doing nothing more than update my blog regularly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you went light on this post- the silence in the commentarati for the last one was deafening..and merci for the mention :) !

A little question, is marginalien german for 'jottings on the margins' or 'side notes'?

p.s: I'd love to see making love used as a noun in sentence ;).

Unknown said...

Yep. Maybe it's a lean season for comments of a neo-violent kind. I found it interesting to read about that device, so thanx for posting about it!

As for "marginalien", it's a name I made up for myself for a column I wrote for THE WEEK -- a combination of "marginal" and "alien", as I think of myself as a visitor to this planet, and a marginal one at that.

As for your p.s., I'll have to think that one through ... but WHY?

Anonymous said...

Oh! I thought you'd slipped in a hidden meaning. The reason why I asked was
this
, (apart from google and the babelfish). marginalien translates to marginalia or marginal notes.

-a.a

p.p.s: Thats because of word number 7 in your list, (7 MAKING LOVE (may-king luv) n.)

Unknown said...

Oh, ah! Well, it's easy enuff:

"Making love" is a common euphemism for something the rest of the animal world knows as "fornication".

Okay -- the power's gone! I need to log off.

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

This is a question for the webmaster/admin here at www.blogger.com.

May I use some of the information from your blog post right above if I provide a backlink back to this website?

Thanks,
William

Unknown said...

Are you a real person William or just another visiting bot? Whatever. Sure, go ahead. Thanks for visiting.